Sunday, June 23, 2013

TV Viewing Weakness- SYTYCD

Okay.  I admit it.  While I find most reality TV very distasteful, I love So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD).  The hubby and I DVR this show and watch it together.  We even save episodes that have routines we really love so we can watch them again.

Maybe my visceral reaction is because I grew up in a dancing family.  Dance classes because I was really uncoordinated.  Dancing with my dad around the house and watching him dance with my Mom everywhere he heard a song he liked.  If there was a dance floor and we were not injured, my family was dancing.  Sometimes even when we were injured.

Watching Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor in "Singin' In The Rain" was when I first realized dancers are remarkable athletes and I still have a bit of a crush on Gene.  Then I saw Ann Miller in "Stage Door" and became enamored with a genre of movies that contained the likes of Eleanor Powell, Leslie Caron, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

But what appeals to me the most about SYTYCD?  The attitudes.  They count egotistical, snotty, diva behavior as marks against the dancers.  They praise and encourage support, partnering, and working in groups.  They value and hold the choreographers accountable as much as the dancers.  But most importantly, the show is about growth.  Yes, they pick great dancers but they also pick dancers with potential.  They want artists, performers, and technicians.  The criticism is always constructive and if something is a subjective comment, the judges say so.

Thank you SYTYCD for providing a glimpse how reality should be instead of the low grade reality that we shouldn't be encouraging by making the people celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment