Monday, July 30, 2012

Were-Puma's....who knew.

Dana Marie Bell wrote a pretty good series (The Halle Shifter Series) and was my first introduction to any other shifter than a wolf. I have to admit, while I was surprised, it was very easy for me to accept the mythology presented. A sucker for the underdog-from-high-school-made-good story, I really liked that this series showed women who appear to have been weak actually ending up being much stronger than even the men in their lives. They overcome some serious adversity to become powerful leaders in their community.

Along with the ability to have cross-breed mates (puma and wolf) and homosexual mates, it makes me believe that the bloodline mixes might make for some interesting babies and definitely all too human-like scenarios all while maintaining the solidarity of the "one true mate" mythology.

The way I read books is sort of like reading a movie into my brain. I visualize. The descriptions in books need to allow me to visualize or I feel disconnected. So, the scenes are well written and the sex scenes were just...hot. My mind was all a whir with some delicious little films.

But foremost in my mind is the response Emma gave to her mate, Max, in the first book "The Wallflower" when he "kidnapped her with food" and she found out he was not only her mate but a shifter.
"I've never understood the woe-is-me thing. I mean, the hottest guy in town just told me he wants me bad enough to bite me and make me like him, and now he wants to drag me home and ravish me. I'm going to, what, run screaming into the night? Oh, no! I'm a Puma now! My life is over! Sob! I mean don't get me wrong, it still freaking me out a bit, and it's probably going to cost me a fortune in bikini waxing, but it's not the end of my world." 
I would like to think this is how I would react under similar circumstances. And the fact that they ask if they will need to use a litter box, if they are going to have kittens instead of babies, and they call each other Lion-O and Garfield....I can relate to these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment